Films covered in this episode:
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Allen: ✰ ½
Calvin: ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰
Sol: ✰ ✰ ½
Overall score: 54%
We've covered the original Connery run of Bond movies. Now it's time to look at George Lazenby's short-lived turn in those spy shoes. Is Lazenby any good? Is "Bond" a codename? Is the world ready for a fat James Bond? All these questions and more are answered in this week's edition of Diminishing Returns!
This episode also features The Big Bond Theme Quiz. Will Allen successfully identify the official James Bond music from the spoofs and imitations? Listen to find out!
The James Bond Music Quiz
If you haven't listened to the episode yet, then don't read ahead as the following is a list of answers for the James Bond music quiz. If, however, you listened to it, liked the sound of one of those songs and want to go and listen to the full version, here's a reference list to help you out:
Practice question 1. "Theme from Spy Hard" by 'Weird Al' Yankovich (from the movie Spy Hard)
Practice question 2. "We Have All the Time in the World" by Louis Armstrong (from the movie On Her Majesty's Secret Service)
Practice question 3. "Suantum of Quolace" by Joe Cornish (from the radio show Adam & Joe)
1. "Operation Kid Brother" by Christy (from the movie Operation Kid Brother)
2. "Cat People" by Electric Six (from the album Mimicry and Memories)
3. "Good Sign, Bad Sign" by Monty Norman (from the unproduced stage musical A House for Mr. Biswas)
4. "Li Xiang" by Stephen Chow (from the movie From Beijing with Love)
5. "For Your Eyes Only" by Blondie (rejected Bond theme for For Your Eyes Only)
6. "Thunderball" by Johnny Cash (rejected Bond theme for Thunderball)
7. "Goldfinger" by Peter Serafinowicz as Ringo Starr (spoof rejected Bond theme from the TV series The Peter Serafinowicz Show)
8. "Theme from Hot Fuzz" by David Arnold (from the movie Hot Fuzz)
9. "Nobody Does It Better" by Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge (from the TV series I'm Alan Partridge)
10. "Fuckin' in Another Man's Clothes" by Electric Six (from the album Mimicry and Memories)
11. "Millennium" by Robbie Williams (from the album I've Been Expecting You)
12. "An Omen of Things to Come" by Electric Six (from the album Roulette Stars of Metro Detroit)
13. "Supremacy" by Muse (from the album The 2nd Law)
14. "SPECTRE" by Radiohead (rejected Bond theme for SPECTRE)
15. "Beautiful Stranger" by Madonna (from the movie Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me)
16. "Title Theme" from the video game Spy Muppets: License to Croak
17. "Snake Eater" by Cynthia Harrell (from the video game Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater)
18. "If You're Gonna" by Natasha Bedingfield (from the video game GoldenEye: Rogue Agent)
19. "Danger! High Voltage" by Electric Six (from the album Fire)
20. "Devil May Care" by SAL (from the audiobook Devil May Care)
Episodes in the James Bond series:
"From Russia with Love"
"You Only Live Twice"
"On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
"Diamonds Are Forever"
"Live and Let Die"
”The Man with the Golden Gun”
”The Spy Who Loved Me”